Congratulations to our District 5150 Rotarian of the Month for June 2020 – Robert Gottschalk from the Rotary Club of Millbrae.
A Rotarian since 2001 and past club President, Robert exemplifies “Service Above Self”. He has joined in countess club local community service projects and events such as the Millbrae Community Youth Center restoration, Relay for Life for the American Cancer Society, and Halloween Carnival and Easter Egg Hunt with local children. His international club service has led him to Lithuania for a project addressing sustainable farming practices. Robert’s dedication to his club’s fundraising success is seen each year at the Lunar New Year Banquet where he dons a full ceremonial Emperor’s costume and warmly greets all. Both Robert’s Rotary life and his civic involvement with the City of Millbrae and beyond demonstrate why he is a “Person of Action” and an inspiration to us all!
Robert Gottschalk is a leader who is able to find ways to facilitate changes and make a difference, and he does not hesitate to get involved when he sees that he can contribute, and has served as Mayor of Millbrae three times and a Millbrae City Council member for 14 years. Robert is a past president of the Rotary Club of Millbrae, having been an engaged member since 2001.
It is easy to see the depth and breadth of some of Robert’s other interests and involvement in serving the Millbrae (and greater) community by the list of other organizations with which he has also held leadership positions:
- International friendship: (Millbrae’s Sister Cities Commission, founded Friendship City relationships with Kai Ping, China and Hanyu, Japan, organized and traveled with middle school students on an exchange trip to Japan for ten students in 2017, and with an eighteen-person delegation to Millbrae’s Sister City Mosta, Malta in April of this year.)
- Literacy and education – (life member of the Friends of Millbrae Library, San Mateo County Library Joint Powers Authority). One of Robert’s accomplishments was to chair the committee that raised $10.6 million for a badly needed new library building, plus $250,000 for furniture and computers.
- Traffic concerns (Peninsula Traffic Congestion Relief Alliance, San Mateo County Transportation Authority Citizens’ Advisory Committee)
- Housing (Housing Endowment and Regional Trust Board member)
- Business (San Mateo County China Trade Association, Chamber of Commerce Board member),
- Emergency services and access to health care (San Mateo County Emergency Services Joint Powers Board, San Mateo County Emergency Medical Services Joint Powers Authority)
- Quality of life for our community’s citizens (Millbrae Community Preservation Commission, Historical Society, and the Senior Advisory Committee).
Over the course of Robert’s life, he has given generously of himself to become involved and make a difference in his community. He has shown a sustained commitment to serving others over many years.